Deaf4Life - Bringing the Community Together: Comments and Ratings on dvd-subtitles.com - Deaf4Life - Bringing the Community Together

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Comments and Ratings on dvd-subtitles.com Rate Topic: -----

Posted 28 April 2004 - 08:11 AM (#1) User is offline   mat 

• DVD-Subtitles Webmaster

Hi all,

I would like to see more people contributing subtitling information from their DVD collections. It only takes a couple of minutes to check a DVD title to see if the main feature and extra features have English subtitles.

This is probably easier than you think. There is an undocumented feature on the website which makes it very quick and easy to look up the DVD titles that you have - simply type in the full product barcode into the "title search" field and it will jump straight to that DVD title.

The truth is that I get far, far more emails from people asking me for subtitling information than I get comments and ratings on the website.

Please remember that I am an individual here holding down a full-time job, managing dvd-subtitles.com in my spare time and responding to the occasional email during working hours.

While I will always do my best to follow up email enquiries, I am far more inclined to help you if you give me something back - ie. if you want subtitling information from me, it would be nice I could have some subtitling information from you on the DVDs you own. Then naturally I'll be much, much happier to help.

Many thanks!

Mat
webmaster, www.dvd-subtitles.com
Webmaster, dvd-subtitles.com

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:15 PM (#2) User is offline   hendleyk 

Hi Mat,

Would be happy to oblige :D

Although you add "HOH" & the grey "S" to the titles when they first come onto the database. Is there any actual difference between "HOH" and "S,SS,SSS". Reason being I've just added a rating for "North and South" (BBC) and whilst only giving it "S" (the interview with Richard Armitage not being subtitled), it already had the "HOH" next to it.

This idea of yours is a great way to dig out the rest of the meagre DVD collection and with a bottle of something, have a DVD fest over the May Bank hoilday weekend :thumbup:

This post has been edited by hendleyk: 27 April 2005 - 08:25 PM

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:43 PM (#3) User is offline   Sophieeee 

Me too, will help you with this one!! :D
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted 28 April 2005 - 08:36 AM (#4) User is offline   mat 

• DVD-Subtitles Webmaster

Although you add "HOH" & the grey "S" to the titles when they first come onto the database. Is there any actual difference between "HOH" and "S,SS,SSS".  Reason being I've just added a rating for "North and South" (BBC) and whilst only giving it "S" (the interview with Richard Armitage not being subtitled), it already had the "HOH" next to it.

The HOH symbol signifies that the subtitles on the main feature are "Hard of Hearing" ie. they include contextual information as well as dialogue eg. [knock on door] etc.

the S,SS,SSS symbols simply refer to subtitles, HOH or not. I thought about allowing users to set the HOH flag but it's too ambiguous and depends on the quality of the subtitling. I get the HOH flag in the DVD data I get from my info service, but its not particularly reliable. You can mention HOH subtitles in your comments if relevant.

This idea of yours is a great way to dig out the rest of the meagre DVD collection and with a bottle of something, have a DVD fest over the May Bank hoilday weekend  :thumbup:

I presume you mean the "my DVDs" idea? Jolly good. I think I'm getting more support for it than I expected, see other thread.

Cheers,
Mat
Webmaster, dvd-subtitles.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options