Deaf4Life - Bringing the Community Together: Well, that's a new one, Pixar... - Deaf4Life - Bringing the Community Together

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Well, that's a new one, Pixar... [Region 1] Retail subtitled, but not rental? Rate Topic: -----

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:35 AM (#1) User is offline   codeman38 

So, as you all probably know, Disney/Pixar had been very good lately about captioning not only movies but also bonus materials here in Region 1.

Well... they really screwed up this time.

The movie Up was just released here in Region 1 this week.

The retail version, as usual, is fully captioned. So anyone planning on importing the disc new, you're fine.

But for the first time, Disney sent a separate bare-bones version out for video rental stores, kiosks, and mail-order rentals. I just received the movie from Netflix, and I've been conversing with people who have gotten it from Redbox kiosks and Blockbuster.

And the rental version from all three of these, shockingly, was not captioned/subtitled at all.

No, really. Here's a screenshot from the Mac DVD player app to prove it.

Yeah, I was very disappointed... to understate things quite a bit. I had really anticipated seeing this movie without having to strain to hear it! :)

I'm going to check if any of the local independent rental shops might happen to have the retail version...

This post has been edited by codeman38: 12 November 2009 - 04:38 AM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:41 AM (#2) User is offline   Tony 

• The Big Boss
  • Hearing Status:Deaf

That's disappointing. :)

Have tou contacted the publisher yet? I think it's worth it so they will be aware about your disappointment.
- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Car's DashCam on YouTube

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:54 PM (#3) User is offline   codeman38 

View PostTony, on Nov 12 2009, 08:46 AM, said:

That's disappointing. :)

Have tou contacted the publisher yet? I think it's worth it so they will be aware about your disappointment.

I have. I'm waiting for the replacement DVD from Netflix so that I can send them the serial number from the disc that they asked for.

A recent review on Netflix, incidentally, pointed out the incredible irony of a movie starring a character who's in his 70s and uses a hearing aid not offering any captions...

This post has been edited by codeman38: 12 November 2009 - 02:55 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:58 PM (#4) User is offline   Tony 

• The Big Boss
  • Hearing Status:Deaf

View Postcodeman38, on Nov 12 2009, 02:59 PM, said:

I have. I'm waiting for the replacement DVD from Netflix so that I can send them the serial number from the disc that they asked for.

Do keep us updated. I hope they will replace it.

A recent review on Netflix, incidentally, pointed out the incredible irony of a movie starring a character who's in his 70s and uses a hearing aid not offering any captions...

lol, now that's funny :D
- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Car's DashCam on YouTube

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options