Deaf4Life - Bringing the Community Together: \Subtitles AND simultaneous background musak - Deaf4Life - Bringing the Community Together

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

\Subtitles AND simultaneous background musak Rate Topic: -----

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:57 AM (#1) User is offline   peterjh 

• Hearing Status:Hard Of Hearing

I am new to the site and hard of hearing. I use headphones for most TV watching and which, with subtitles shown, is OK. The main wretched imbalance as far as I'm concerned is the frequency that program makers and modern film makers employ is to put background music, over the top of dialogue and commentary. I have written letters and emails to Sky and BBC until I'm blue in the face, asking, not for them to cease the practice necessarily, but to consider seriously giving us some kind of gizmo that will give US the choice to knock out the background music and let us keep the spoken words. Years back, music was used sparingly, certainly subtly and creatively on films and you never felt invaded by the stuff. I am not a lover of pop music and when films are dominated by throbbing drumbeats, explosions and the like, I lose interest....fast! Many documentaries of various subjects, i.e., prison life, the career of Don Bradman, have had background music "to heighten your enjoyment" I was told when all we want are details and testimony of people. It is irrelevant and obstructive. With a hearing difficulty its hard enough listening to the voice without trying to ignore an unnecessary music track coming at you. The noise would be bad enough over a straight documentary but if subtitles were not included it would be, for me, a waste of time.
I feel, that for me, subtitles and the bombardment of my ears with so much junk music, are very inter-related.
There are people who enjoy modern pop music and this may not be a problem for them but the volume of drum beating, electronic explosions, souped-up traffic noise, cause me often to turn off the volume entirely which I'm loathe to do, because of the bombardment of noise.
Am I alone in looking at the whole sound output from films and television in this way? I realize that I'm probably fighting a losing battle if I am.

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:10 AM (#2) User is offline   CrazyD 

• The Crazy One

The problem I have is hearing the speech that are coming from the telephone on the TV. TV Dialogue is okay apart from the speech that is perceived to be coming from a telephone receiver, radio or PA systems, all because of the frequency that they play them at.

You could change the sound output from the TV to be mainly speech, my TV has an equalizer built in, and actually has a "Speech" setting, that tries to maximise speech output and quieten background noises.

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:56 AM (#3) User is offline   peterjh 

CrazyD, - Thanks. I've never been pointed towards that trick to reduce noise other than voices. I'll have to investigate it.

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:14 AM (#4) User is offline   Speedy Hawk 

• Fly Free
  • Hearing Status:Deaf

You said you wrote/emailed BBC and Sky right? They don't make most of programmes, only few. I don't see how they stop it. It makers does it. Write/email to makers.
Posted Image

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:44 PM (#5) User is offline   RWS 

• If I'm smiling & nodding then I haven't heard you ;-

HellO mate, like crazyD says try your tv eq/sound settings first. That should help a bit. ;) you may be better suited to different head phones too as some head phones are built to deliver more bass etc.... But nice cans cost money ;(
All the best,

Richard Webb-Stevens ;-)

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:47 PM (#6) User is offline   Gary 

The RNID (Now Action on Hearing Loss) launched a campaign a while back on Background Noise on TV
http://www.actiononh...ound-noise.aspx

The campaign is still ongoing and that link (above) will show you several ways you can get involved and who to contact.

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options
  Or sign in with these services