Deaf4Life - Bringing the Community Together: New Member Introducing Self, With Questions - Deaf4Life - Bringing the Community Together

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Member Introducing Self, With Questions Rate Topic: -----

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:42 PM (#1) User is offline   dhstraayer 

• Hearing Status:Hard Of Hearing

Greetings to you all.

I just found out about this forum as I was digging about the net to try to find subtitles. I'm hard of hearing, and pretty much won't watch movies without subtitles any more.

I just recently rented Ballykissangel Series 1 disk 2 from Netflix. Can't find any subtitles on it. :-(

I see from DVD-subtitles.com that the series is rated as fully subtitled, but I expect that is the UK version, and not the Yank version. OK, you take my wretched hearing, fairly distinctive non-Yank accents (to my ears), and modern sound production (whispers covered by crashing sound effects and music), and the DVD is pretty much unwatchable.

I've been using MKV files ripped by MakeMKV, and MKV editing software to splice in subtitles when I can find them on the net. It would, of course, be a lot easier if the disks just came with decent subtitles, but I suspect I'm preaching to the choir on that.

So I'm asking for tips and suggestions as to how to go about getting subtitles for this and in general.

On as side note, I'm a Netflix subscriber, and am being pushed to "watch off the net" rather than disks by post. The glitch is that English subtitles don't seem to be available for this video-on-demand service. :-( So I'm pretty much restricted to foreign movies that have to have subtitles because of they aren't dubbed in English. I'm a bit unhappy with Netflix over this, and the fact that they refuse to provide any email customer support. Telephone-only customer support is not nice to those of us whose hearing is not good.

I don't know about the legality, but if anybody could send me .srt files or even DVD VOB/SUB files for Ballykissangel S1D2, I could splice them in and be able to watch what I've already paid for.

Dave Straayer - from the wilds of Tacoma Washington, USA

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:08 PM (#2) User is offline   ncmacasl 

• Hearing Status:Hearing

Netflix Subtitles *are* available on select devices and select titles only. Currently they are available on PC & Mac Web Browsers, PS3 & Wii Gaming Systems, & the new Boxee Box Netflix App (just added 2/14/10). Titles that have subtitles can be hard to find. Subtitling info is listed on the description page for each title when using one of the platforms listed above; however, Netflix does not ahve a search feature enabling users to look for titles with subtitles.

As a result, I have developed a listing of titles on my blog. There are currently over 700 titles. Blog can be found here: http://ncmacasl.blog...itles-with.html

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options
  Or sign in with these services