Deaf4Life - Bringing the Community Together: Subtitles below the picture - Deaf4Life - Bringing the Community Together

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Subtitles below the picture Rate Topic: -----

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:14 PM (#1) User is offline   Greg 

• Hearing Status:Hard Of Hearing

I've just been rewatching the Lord of the Rings films. The DVD subtitles are on the black letterbox bars below the film. In order to read all of the subtitles, I have to adjust the ratio of the picture, thereby squashing the film and distorting the image. I've noticed this on a few films, and it annoys me a bit.

Does anyone else find this?

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:54 PM (#2) User is offline   mat 

• DVD-Subtitles Webmaster

View PostGreg, on Mar 28 2010, 12:19 PM, said:

I've just been rewatching the Lord of the Rings films. The DVD subtitles are on the black letterbox bars below the film. In order to read all of the subtitles, I have to adjust the ratio of the picture, thereby squashing the film and distorting the image. I've noticed this on a few films, and it annoys me a bit.

Does anyone else find this?

I haven't had this problem since the old days of non-widescreen tv's - are you watching on a widescreen tv?

Mat
Webmaster, dvd-subtitles.com

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:30 AM (#3) User is offline   Greg 

• Hearing Status:Hard Of Hearing

View Postmat, on Mar 28 2010, 02:59 PM, said:

I haven't had this problem since the old days of non-widescreen tv's - are you watching on a widescreen tv?

Mat

Yes it is a widescreen TV.

I am guessing that LotR plays with letterbox lines even on WS TVs to maintain the full cinemascope picture, and the subtitles are put onto the letterbox. However they aren't completely visible without 'squashing' the picture.

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:23 PM (#4) User is offline   mat 

• DVD-Subtitles Webmaster

View PostGreg, on Apr 5 2010, 11:35 AM, said:

I am guessing that LotR plays with letterbox lines even on WS TVs to maintain the full cinemascope picture, and the subtitles are put onto the letterbox. However they aren't completely visible without 'squashing' the picture.

This is very rare now. Possibly you have a very old DVD release of LoTR, or a foreign version which is supposed to be shown on non-WS TV sets. Several countries (eg. South America, some parts of Europe) have been very slow to adopt the WS format and some DVDs in those countries are formatted to work best on 4:3 non-WS TVs. Also if you have a very old or foreign DVD player you may also experience problems.

I have the UK Region 2 Extended editions of LoTR and the subtitles on these work beautifully on my WS plasma without any distortion of the picture.

Regards,

Mat
Webmaster, dvd-subtitles.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options