Deaf4Life - Bringing the Community Together: Submitting ratings for Non-UK discs - Deaf4Life - Bringing the Community Together

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Submitting ratings for Non-UK discs Rate Topic: -----

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:01 AM (#1) User is offline   Reihnold 

I noticed that one of my submissions (Eagle Eye Blu-Ray) was not published. I guess this is due to the fact, that my submission is based on the German Blu-Ray. However, the German and the British version of the Blu-Ray are identical, because the German disc contains a BBFC logo and the British disc has German Audio (e.g. Amazon.co.uk Forum).
Because most Blu-Rays are the same across Europe, I can probably submit information on some other Blu-Rays. Should I submit those or is the correct EAN (and thus correct locality) a "must have" feature for submission?

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:21 PM (#2) User is offline   mat 

• DVD-Subtitles Webmaster

View PostReihnold, on May 8 2009, 11:06 AM, said:

I noticed that one of my submissions (Eagle Eye Blu-Ray) was not published. I guess this is due to the fact, that my submission is based on the German Blu-Ray. However, the German and the British version of the Blu-Ray are identical, because the German disc contains a BBFC logo and the British disc has German Audio (e.g. Amazon.co.uk Forum).
Because most Blu-Rays are the same across Europe, I can probably submit information on some other Blu-Rays. Should I submit those or is the correct EAN (and thus correct locality) a "must have" feature for submission?

Hi Reihnold,

Sorry for late reply, I've only just noticed this post.

I'm naturally very cynical and after having spent many years trying to deal with the DVD studios, I don't trust them an inch.

In my mind, I think it's dangerous to assume the discs are the same. EANs are a unique identifier, if the discs were truly the same, they would have the same EAN!

Now, it is quite possible that both UK and German versions have the same content and the same subtitles, but your reasoning doesn't convince me so. I would only be convinced if either they had the same EAN, or you have actually manually checked both UK and German DVDs. There are plenty of normal (not blu-ray) DVDs out there whereby the UK and European releases are practically identical, but there's no way of knowing, especially with subtitles, without manually checking the DVDs.

Many DVD releases are re-edited before release in different countries due to varying censorship laws etc, also the way some studios are structured means that they haven't time to create content and then pass it to their various distribution centres in different countries before a worldwide release, with the result that some content (extra features) is created simultaneously but separately in different countries - and of course the subtitling is different. Stupid, but this is actually Disney/Buena Vista's explanation why they don't subtitle their extra features in the UK, yet they do subtitle them in the US. Sounds hopelessly daft to me, but in my mind the fact remains is we simply can't assume that DVDs released in different countries are the same, blu-ray or not.

What I suggest is in your comments you say that you have this DVD and it is probably the same as the UK version, I would accept that but I can't rate the title until someone actually checks the UK version.

Hope this makes sense, please do attempt to convince me otherwise, I'm learning all the time.

Cheers,

Mat
Webmaster, dvd-subtitles.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options